Enjoying the Journey
Have you ever had the joy of sharing Christ with someone and seeing that person come to know the Lord as their personal Savior? There is nothing in this world like it! We know that Jesus said, “ye shall be witnesses unto me” (Acts 1:8).
How do we do what Jesus said? Everywhere I go people say to me, “I really want to bring someone to Christ, but I just don’t know where to start.”
Let me give you a few ideas that you can put into practice today…
- Create a soul winning prayer list. Write down the names of those that you know need Christ and commit to pray for them every day. Ask the Lord to use you to personally reach them. Remember, we cannot pray if we are not willing to obey.
- Commit gospel Scriptures to memory. We are to be ready always to give an explanation of the gospel (Ephesians 6:15; 1 Peter 3:15). The greatest thing you can give to others is God’s Word. Begin with John 3:16 and great salvation verses out of Romans. Memorize them. Meditate on them. Minister them to others.
- Share your story. If you are a believer you have a story to tell! It is the story of how you came to know Christ and what He means to you. Next to the Scriptures it is the most powerful resource you have. Practice giving it to someone and prepare to give it to as many people as possible. Those who will never listen to a sermon will listen to your story.
- Demonstrate the love of Christ. The gospel message begins with “For God so loved the world that He gave…” His love breaks down barriers and removes prejudices. Ask the Lord to help you show kindness to others. A little kindness may open a big door for the gospel.
- Give gospel literature to others wherever you go. So many people I have met through the years were brought to Christ when reading a gospel tract. Never underestimate the power of the printed Word. Carry literature with you. Accompany it with a personal word. God can use simple tools to accomplish His work.
- Bring someone with you to a church service specifically to hear the gospel. Communicate to your pastor that you are bringing someone with you who needs the Lord. Pray that God will open their heart as they hear the truth.
- Have a Bible study in your home or on the job. Hosting an informal Bible study will give opportunities to discuss spiritual truths with neighbors and co-workers. Many people who would not go to a church meeting would come to a friend’s home.
- Ask people to read the Gospel of John and to tell you what they think. I have had the joy of seeing people come to faith in Christ through simply reading the Scriptures. At the very least it opens the conversation about who Christ is. The Word of God is powerful!
- Pray daily for divine appointments. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you someone to talk to. That is a prayer He will answer! Then live expectantly, looking everywhere for people that you can share the good news with.
- Begin. No one becomes an effective witness by reading about it. It is time to get off the bench and get in the game! We all get nervous, but as we obey the Lord He has promised to help us.
Ask the Lord to prepare the heart of some soul and give you a divine appointment today! May God use us all to bring someone to Jesus.