Enjoying the Journey
The service had just ended and an older woman whom I did not know came to speak to me. She told me that she prays for me and for my family every day. I cannot think of anything more encouraging than that!
Then she asked the question that few people ever ask. It revealed a discernment about the Lord and prayer. “I don’t want to just pray general prayers. What can I pray about specifically?” Great question.
Specific prayers get specific answers. I have a list of fellow evangelists who I try to pray for regularly. Yet I have found that it is far better to pray for a definite need than it is to simply call a name.
As I was reading Luke 8:1-3 I discovered 5 definite things connected to the work of the chief Evangelist, the Lord Jesus Christ.
And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him. And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.
I have been praying these 5 specific requests for myself and others who are engaged in gospel work. Make this your prayer list…
- Lord, lead us to every place you want us to go. Like Jesus we are called to be “travelers” on a mission. Every city and village needs the gospel.
- Lord, use us to both preach and show the good news. Glad tidings should be heard and seen! Our messages and our lives must reflect God’s joyful kingdom.
- Lord, help us to bring others along on the journey who can be trained to do the same work. Christ had twelve. Each of us should be enlisting and training others for the work of the gospel.
- Lord, allow us to see people’s lives definitely changed by Christ. What a crowd of converts! People whose lives were dramatically transformed by meeting Jesus. We want to see more of this.
- Lord, meet every need through your people. The material need is last because it is least. And yet it is wonderful that God does care for every need of our lives. He uses many channels but He alone is the Source.
Just today a man I have only met twice sent me a message. In it he told me something very specific that he is praying for my life. God used him to help me.
Would you pray today for someone who is doing the work of an evangelist? More importantly, would you pray specifically?